Thursday 30 March 2023

Hope


Today is Day 10 since I first began showing signs of COVID. In those ten days I have run the gamut of symptoms typically associated with the virus and still I'm not recovered. I had fully expected to be back at work by now, but after yesterday, where I was so exhausted I spent most of the day in bed, and still not being able to eat without gastro symptoms, I made the call to have at least another day or so at home. 

Usually, I would enjoy additional time at home but I am so over being sick and not being able to do anything. Yesterday I read a teen book that I probably haven't read since I was, well, in my teens (or at least twenties). I then looked at virtually every book in my collection, and not one appealed to me. Not one. 

Nor does reading an eBook. Or doing anything really. As I said, I am so over being sick.

In despair this morning, I was reminded of a devotional I read a few days ago. I opened up Spurgeon's Faith's Checkbook for March 25, and this is what I read ...

" 'When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid; yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet' Prov. 3:24. 

IS the reader likely to be confined for a while to the bed by sickness? let him go upstairs without distress with this promise upon his heart - "When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid." ... If with our laying down there is a laying down of all cares and ambitions, we shall get refreshment out of our beds such as the anxious and covetous never find in theirs. ... To have sweet sleep we must have sweet lives, sweet tempers, sweet mediations, and sweet love."

Spurgeon was no stranger to illness and despair. This was not simply an intellectual exercise. He knew intimately the cares and woes and concerns of ill health - experienced it both in his own body and in the long-term ill-health of his beloved wife. 

And then this morning I opened the devotional again to read these words ...

" 'Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus' Phil. 4:6,7

NO care, but all prayer. No anxiety, but much joyful communion with God. Carry your desires to the Lord of your life, the guardian of your soul. Go to Him with two portions of prayer, and one of fragrant praise. Do not pray doubtfully, but thankfully. Consider that you have your petitions, and therefore thank God for His grace. ... Hide nothing. ...Run not to man. Go only to your God, the Father of Jesus, who loves you in Him.

This shall bring you God's own peace, you shall not be able to understand the peace which you shall enjoy. It shall enfold you in its infinite embrace. ...

Yes, Lord, I do believe thee; but I beseech thee, help mine unbelief."