Sunday 22 October 2023

A Fixed Heart And A Promise

This year I began reading a devotional that had belonged to my maternal grandmother and which had come to me along with several of her books (including at least one that had survived a devastating flood). The devotional is Daily Light on the Daily Path printed by the family firm of Samuel Bagster.

It has a fascinating history. According to a descendant of Samuel Bagster, this book was a family project, prepared entirely by the family. For those who are not familiar with the devotional, each day has a selection of Scriptures on a given theme. No notes: just verses from the Bible that speak for themselves.

Apparently, each day family members would suggest verses for that day and over the course of days or weeks this would be reviewed until the final draft was arrived at. They did this for not 365 days, but twice that as the devotional contains readings for morning and night for every day of the year.

Not so long ago I found this devotional available on YouDevotion app, along with Spurgeon's Faith's Checkbook which I also enjoy daily. Reading it on my phone is far easier than reading it on the yellowed pages of a book in small print (and is easier for me to revisit during the day).

One of the things I love about these older devotionals (and there are more on the app which I plan to look at next year) is that they seem to be more about what the Word of God says than about a feel-good thought for the day. I find myself challenged, comforted, corrected, reproved, and instructed, in accordance with 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

Both readings this morning were too good not to share. The first is the morning reading from Daily Light and the second is from Faith's Checkbook.

O God, my heart is fixed. Ps 108:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee, - He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord. His heart is established, he shall not be afraid, until he see his desire upon his enemies.

What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. - In the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy: I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord.

The God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered awhile, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever.

Ps 27:1, Isa 26:3, Ps 112:7-8, Ps 56:3, Ps 27:5-6, 1 Pet 5:10-11.

Plead His Own Promise

Thou, O Lord God, hast spoken it: and with thy blessing let the house of thy servant be blessed for ever. 2 Sam 7:29

This is a promise pleaded, and so it yields double instruction to us. Anything which the Lord God has spoken we should receive as surely true and then plead it at the throne.

Oh, how sweet to quote what our own God has spoken! How precious to use a "therefore." which the promise suggests, as David does in this verse!

We do not pray because we doubt but because we believe. To pray unbelievingly is unbecoming in the Lord's children. No, Lord, we cannot doubt Thee: we are persuaded that every word of Thine is a sure foundation for the boldest expectation. We come to Thee and say, "Do as Thou hast said." Bless Thy servant's house. Heal our sick; save our hesitating ones; restore those who wander; confirm those who live in Thy fear. Lord, give us food and raiment according to Thy Word. Prosper our undertakings; especially succeed our endeavours to make known Thy gospel in our neighbourhood. Make our  servants Thy servants, our children Thy children. Let the blessing flow on to future generations, and as long as any of our race remains on earth may they remain true to Thee. O Lord God, "Let the house of thy servant be blessed."


(Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash)